Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

woman as writer

I'm not the only woman who has ever struggled to be a writer in this world, I do know that. But in my situation, it is all my own experience and so I feel the sting of the struggle that much more. I compare myself to the single mom who wrote Harry Potter in a coffeeshop and feel like I failed, somehow. It's a very real set of failures, too, and I have spent years blaming my failures on all sorts of sitations, people, cirucmstances and reasons but now it's time to face up and be real: to live as a writer, I must be childless. My daughter is 16. I don't have long to wait till she grows up and goes on her own path. Some would say it's just an excuse, but I know the truth. It's not an excuse. For me, having a child, and just one at that, took so much like almost all of my energy that I often felt befuddled just to cook some supper much less work on my old writings and creating new ones felt impossible. But now I am proving that sort of wrong since I am writing a blog everyday. I have yet to pierce the surface of what will eventually show up in this blog, but like anyone new to something, I am still a bit shy about what I write in my blog every day. I censor somewhat and I wonder if I can overcome that to shed the shield I hold up to keep people away. Cause once I let the floodgates open, there's gonna be a big wave coming. I look forward to the day when i am ready to surf that huge wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment