Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 4, 2010

if only not to analyze

The English rockstar Billy Bragg sings that "we shouldn't take the precious things we have apart to see how they work/ we'll never fit them together again." Is it true? Do people pick apart their relationships too much until all the mystery and the excitement goes away? I think so. Whatever happened to just reveling in each and every moment you spend with someone and you don't analyze the interactions you just let them flow into you and become part of who you are and who you were meant to be? When it comes to analysis, people do too much of it. Now, critical thinking is more than just analysis--it's thinking deeply and broadly. I once heard someone say "don't grow, deepen" and I agree with that. I think a lot of people don't think deeply enough; they don't think broadly enough; in fact, some people simply don't think very much. My mother always tells me that my problem is that I think too much. I was in my forties before I was able to think of a good comeback: you don't think enough, Mom. She of course didn't like that much. I want to say everything in one sentence, but one sentence is too small to hold it all. I want to climb into my friend's mind and on regularly scheduled visits. I want to eat hot sandwiches and write until my fingers bleed on the keyboard. I want the electric guitar of a Billy Bragg song to sink way deep into my brain so I can sleep well and not spend too much time analyzing my day. I want to go camping and sleep by a night fire. (Did you know I collect bead necklaces?)

No comments:

Post a Comment