Total Pageviews

Monday, March 8, 2010

a poet's crush

I was talking to a friend about what it means to be a writer, a poet, and a woman who still gets crushes on guys. It gets mixed up, sometimes, the writing and the reality. Recently, this has happened to me. For a week, I had a very intense crush on someone new and he inspired me to write a lot, which I did. A three part poem, an essay and some other assorted free writings. Then on Sunday, I crashed down from the crush. It seemed amazing to me that it had only lasted a week. Now what do I do? How do I find the inspiration to write? From where or whom do I find it? That has always been the essential dilemma and the essential question for me, and for other writers and poets as well. How do I get through the times when I don't feel like writing? I suppose it's time to take the advice I often give to my students which is to freewrite freewrite and freewrite some more. Somehow, that seems boring compared to having a crush on someone! I'd still like to be composing love poems, but Valentine's Day is over and no one seems interested in them right now. I'd like to compose the ultimate love poem, which I think I did recently so I will just take heart in that and make peace with my newfound standstill in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment