Total Pageviews

Friday, March 12, 2010

inspiration and the work ethic

So the inspiration can't spring from a person anymore--that's what i finally figured out. Like my professor writer/poet friend Joe Benevento said "You'll work on your writing when you are ready to really work." Work. A word I hate. Even in third grade, my teacher wrote on my report card "Anne wants to color and play all the time when she really has work to do." I want the writing to come easy, and to be truthful, most of the time it does come easy to me. Sometimes, I have felt that the writing came right through me, or was delivered through me. But my mistake is to think that the writing is finished. Now, don't get me wrong. I know I'm not thinking of anything new here, but for me the idea is one I have to accept. I have to do like Joe Benevento says: revise, revise, revise. Which is of course what I always tell my students. I always tell them not to be satisfied with how good their writing is but strive to make it even better. So if I apply that to myself that means I have a lot of revision to do before I send out the writing for publication. I have to work, work, work, and stop depending on sporadic crushes, inspiration per se' and such excuses like that. I want to make Joe Benevento proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment