Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Who Will Be Your Baby's Daddy?

My daughter is seventeen and is making some questionable choices about boys she likes. I thought of something new to explain to her today as I was thinking about it for a long time: choose a guy to date based on whether you think he would make a good father to your children. It may sound old-fashioned or weird, but what's wrong with using this standard to measure potential dates by? If teenagers did use this standard, maybe they would think before they act. Actually, you don't have to be a teenager to use this standard. Women of all ages get pregnant and have children, so maybe if we all thought this way fewer children would be born into homes with no decent father. My daughter basically grew up without a father in her life. She has one, but he has always lived in Hawaii and we don't see him much--which is actually a good thing. Suffice it to say that if I had applied the same standards I am trying to teach her to myself seventeen years ago, i guess i wouldn't be writing a blog to my daughter, now would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment