Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 1, 2010

rooted in poetry


Sometimes happyness is so beautiful it hurts like the sun when it shines in your eyes by a lake, by a bus stop, by a tree branch or a limb. Why is it that when we flow with happiness it gets stopped by a worry that everything is going to fall apart? Today that happened to me. As I was out driving in the early morning, everything I saw was gorgeous. Sunshine threw its light everywhere and fell out of the sky like a huge window of yellow. I saw a bird. I saw a squirrel running with a nut. I saw the creek flow blue. I heard the sound of beauty and felt overwhelmed. I try to remember to stay grounded, to keep roots close to the earth so I don't just fly away with all my wondering thoughts but it's hard especially on a day as exciting as the kickoff of National Poetry Month. My plan is to work on poems all month. That means writing new ones, revising old ones, typing old ones into the computer and getting ready to submit. The prospect does not seem daunting; in fact, I look forward to the work, the real work ahead of me. I feel, now, today, at this moment, like what the poet James Wright wrote in his poem "The Blessing:"
Suddenly I realize/That if I stepped out of my body I would break/Into blossom. I feel like I could live on just air right now, that nothing else in the world matters except living for this very moment of beauty on this earth. Dramatic but true!

No comments:

Post a Comment