Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 28, 2010

poets, lies, and stories

I love liars. Liars make me happy. Because liars can tell stories and i value stories. I love strawberry rhubarb pie and drinking coffee from mason jars. What Gary Snyder wrote in his poem What it takes to be a Poet is something I agree with but I think he forgot somethings. Like to be a poet you have to learn how to lie. But you also have to love cats and dogs, and you have to know how to fly. I know lots of poets who don't write poems but to me they are poets because of how they talk, or what they talk about. I once heard a poem by aloha lavina where she said "I am thinking of how so few people wear necklaces of teeth." I loved that line when I first heard it and even today the line from that lie of a poem profounds me. I have been telling stories since I could talk. My mother doesn't value that I tell stories. She tells me my nose is going to get longer if I keep telling lies. So what exactly is the difference between lying, telling stories, and writing poems? If what you are doing is to specifically and purposefully hurt someone, that seems and feels wrong to me. But if you are crafting a story, it's not a bad lie. I wonder if I have been deluding myself for years with this theory I have about lies and lying. I will ponder the question while I eat barbeque with friends. That's no lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment